PROPERONI Development Chef, Nic from Two Cents Pizza, shares her recipe for the perfect Detroit style pizza.
Detroit style pizza is the hottest pizza trend in the UK right now. Think of a soft fluffy focaccia style base, smothered with mozzarella and cheddar, caramelised cheese edge, plenty of Properoni and sweet heat from JDs Hot Honey.
1 x 250g dough ball
- 144g strong bread flour, 101g water, 4g salt and 2g dried yeast
-150g grated cheddar
-150g grated mozzarella
-Half a tub of ricotta
-Two tablespoons of n’duja
-A bottle of JDs Hot Honey
-One pack of PROPERONI
-A handful of fresh basil, shredded
-A handful of freshly grated Parmesan
A small Ooni Detroit pan, metal spatula and cooling rack
How to make the dough:
- Mix your yeast and water together. Then mix your salt and flour together
- Combine everything until you have a rough dough mix. This is a really sticky mix so it may help to use a silicone spatula. Make sure there’s not dry flour at the bottom of the bowl
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes
- Take your mix out of the bowl and put it on your worktop, stretch one edge of the dough out and then bring it back into the centre. Do the same with the opposite side of the dough. Turn it 90 degrees and repeat.
- Place it back into the bowl, cover and rest for 15 minutes
- Repeat the same stretch and fold action again. Followed by a 15 minute rest.
- Repeat this action again. You should have a nice smooth dough. But if it still looks a little bumpy then repeat again.
- Form your dough into a ball and then place into your oiled pan. I use a 25cm x 17cm pan.
- Leave to rest for half an hour
- Press your fingertips into the dough to stretch it the full size of the pan. Don’t force the dough if it’s still a little tense. Rest for 15 minutes and come back to it and try again. Make sure it fills the pan right to the corners.
- Leave the dough until it’s puffed up and doubled in size. That should take around 2 hours depending on how warm your room is
- Bake at 230c in your oven for 8 minutes
- Take the base out the pan and let it cool for 30 minutes
- while the base is cooling whip your ricotta and n’duja together
Baking your pizza
- Put your pizza base back in the pan and put the cheddar all round the edges of the pan, then put the mozzarella in the middle. Make sure the entire surface of the pizza is covered with cheese
- Top with the Properoni and then put the pizza back into the oven for around 8 minutes
- Take the pan out the oven and rest on a cooling rack for a minute or two. This will allow the cheese to set so your crispy wall doesn’t collapse.
- Use a spatula to take your pizza out the pan, then put it on a cooling rack so the base can crisp up
Top with your n’duja ricotta, shredded basil, Parmesan and JDs Hot Honey drizzle